What can SUND do to meet the European Commission’s legal requirements?

There are two important issues that the industry will have against us as technology suppliers.

One is about emission rights. Here, the European Commission is a strange sight. Industries that burn more than 95% biofuel must be excluded from the emissions system. In other words, anyone who crosses that line is punished. But if you use at least 5% fossil fuels, you will be rewarded with free emission rights that you can then sell and make money. In addition, the use of fossil fuels is cheaper than biofuels in general. Especially natural gas can be transported in large quantities and has a relatively low price. In addition, natural gas has low emissions during combustion, which means that you get clean flue gases and no soot. The gas boiler that SUND has designed and the energy system on the platform can easily use gaseous fuels and thereby adapt the operation and use of fossil and biogenic fuels.
In this way, the EU’s requirement for 5% fossil fuels in the mix can be met, while costs and emissions are kept to a minimum.

The second part is the proposals in the EU for the so-called LULUCF, where it is intended to regulate emissions and then the uptake of greenhouse gases in forests and land through carbon storage to compensate for emissions from other sectors. Should this become a reality, you will be forced to reduce timber utilization by about 20%. This at the same time as you have to replace fossil raw materials with forest resources, which becomes an almost impossible equation. The solution to the problem is not increased felling without using all parts of the tree and then effectively extracting all the wood’s substances into new products. This at the same time as greenhouse gas emissions are reduced. This is not impossible but requires new technology.
With its solution to the problem, SUND has through its unique biorefinery platform been able to show that we can efficiently utilize the entire biomass of the tree and convert it into renewable products. Only 5% of the tree’s biomass goes to the platform’s energy consumption and the remaining 95% becomes salable bioproducts. This at the same time as reducing greenhouse gases up to more than 99%.

These are just some of SUND’s problem solutions of legal requirements.